.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Dress: Pattern Review B5706 Matronly to Sassy!




Good Morning! I am so excited about my dress today because it's the same pattern I used to make the high-low skirt tutorial this time I knew I could make the matronly looking pattern look sassy so I used it as a base pattern and just made it a little more modern. I knew that I needed it to be form fitting and I wanted to make it a midi length but I didn't have enough fabric so I made it as long as my fabric allowed. 

This is just a great example of a pattern that most of us would just pass on because the pattern images are not appealing but like I always say, you have to look beyond the pattern pics! I always look at the technical sketch because that gives me a clear indication of what I can do to update the pattern.



Pattern Description: Misses Dresses

Pattern Sizing: I cut the 8 and then chopped off about 4" all around to get the look I wanted.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Ummmm, not really, LOL

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't use them because I was on my own path at that point.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It is a good basic-build on pattern

Fabric Used: Black/White Striped DK

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Well, I took in the enormous amount of ridiculous ease that is in this pattern and made it form fitting, I pegged it at the knee and added length to the hem.

Would you sew it again? I will use it again as a build up pattern.


Would you recommend it to others? with modifications...yes


B5706 Dress, Steve Madden Pumps, DIY Red Leather Obi Belt, F21 Necklace, BCBG Bracelet




xoxo
mimi g.



27 comments:

  1. i'm comparing ur photos to the models on the pattern page and all i can say is good job.
    Ever since I learn pattern making i've looked at photos and done the same thing...i'd remove this/add that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niki! yeah those pattern envelopes are really not cute sometimes.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mimi...Thanks for your daily or almost daily posts...I come here daily...you really give me inspiration. I love this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Everything you've done with this pattern is so good. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress and styling is marvelous, but I would fight you for some of that stripped double knit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love everything about this outfit. Those shoes are fab.

    livinggolden.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Faye dont fight me! I can get you some here in downtown ;-) I may have about a yard left at home, you want it?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Killer outfit, and I love the red belt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous honey that dress fits you like a glove!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great fit on u hun, amazing figure xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! Do you have a tut for the obi belt?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are soooo cute!!! The dress is really cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Cute! I just found your blog via your Fashion Bomb feature and I'm hooked. I just wrapped up my 1st sewing class as well. Looking forward to the rest of your blog!!

    -Kandis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving the obi belt and the dress! Wonderful look!

    TheFreshFactorGC.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it , You are so so awesome, you have been inspired me !! Following you now...

    xoxo
    http://minnieonfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this look I'm your newest follower!
    www.style4curves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress is fabulous. The belt really gives it pop. Who takes your pictures? The photography is great too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous as usual!!!! Did you sew the back darts or left them out?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Mimi!
    I'm from Portugal and I found out your Blog throught a friend (Nanda Crafts). I love the dress! I must say I love your shoes collection! I wish I could buy here shoes like that, because I'm short too! :D
    Keep up the good work! You are inspiring! Check this two Portuguese Blogs:
    Couture et Tricot
    Ócios e Negócios
    You will like them!
    Xoxo, Helena Alves

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always go by the sketch rather than the photo too.. far too often the pic doesn't give you the detail that the sketch does. Plus, it makes it easier to identify if it's the same basic pattern I've already bought 4 times over! Oh, and the shoes... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mimi, is there a way to get the modifications? I am in love with this dress, tutorial? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.