.

Monday, April 21, 2014

DIY Easter Dress + Pattern Review B5987



Hi Darlings,

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and an even better Easter. We went to church together and this year was the first time in FIVE years that we were able to sit together. The hubby has been playing the role of Jesus for last five years so he is always backstage drenched in corn syrup blood and torn clothing. This year however, the church prepared a different program and so he was able to take the year off and just enjoy the service. That also meant we were able to take pictures together.
Pattern Description: Misses Dress Butterick 5987 

Pattern Sizing: I cut size 8 and graded down.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they are pretty clear and it went together rather quickly. I cut and constructed the dress in just under 3hrs.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the neckline and the fullness of the skirt. I also really loved the back. 

Fabric Used: Floral Crepe (check the link later today for the exact fabric) I lined it in an Ambiance Rayon

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did not make any changes to the design and aside from having to grade down the bodice a bit I did not have to make any real fitting adjustments. I did add 3" to the length of the dress so it would hit the floor in my 6" heels. I tried finding a D ring that liked as suggested in the pattern but I couldn't so I used one of gold bracelets.

Would you sew it again? No. I have so many others to sew.

Would you recommend it to others? Yes I do. It was really fun to wear and I felt very pretty in it.







This is the year of the tulle skirt so of course my 16 year old asked me to make one for Easter. She picked a great electric blue tulle for her skirt. The skirt itself isn't difficult to make but it does get tricky with all the tulle in the way, lol. I just went out and bought more tulle so I can do a tutorial.

I thought of making myself one too but after I pulled together the hubby's look I decided to make myself something that fit his look better. I had just picked up this amazing CREPE fabric at Michael Levine's so after a quick family vote we decided on Butterick 5987

This is the year of the tulle skirt so of course my 16 year old asked me to make one for Easter. She picked a great electric blue tulle for her skirt. The skirt itself isn't difficult to make but it does get tricky with all the tulle in the way, lol. I just went out and bought more tulle so I can do a tutorial.

I thought of making myself one too but after I pulled together the hubby's look I decided to make myself something that fit his look better. I had just picked up this amazing CREPE fabric at Michael Levine's so after a quick family vote we decided on Butterick 5987 (the exact fabric will be uploaded today at lowpricefabric.com under the crepe section)

Of course my lil man was camera ready in his suit and tie. Do you see his pocket watch? so fly!
My dear Lexi loved her DIY tulle skirt and rocked her "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" look to the fullest!

My gorgeous shy girl all pretty in pink and purple. Do you know how hard it was to get a picture of her? she is so not feeling me when I pull out my camera, lol











60 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress, so springy and happy. You have a beautiful family and I love your daughters tulle skirt.

    http://princessaudu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my goodness you're little ones are GORGEOUS! I love your son's outfit, I want one for my little guy lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful family. May God continue to bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous family Mimi. May the Lord bless you all. I hope you had a wonderful Easter. The outfits look spectacular ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another amazing DIY, the girls are adorable in the tulle skirts and the guys are handsome. Thank for sharing your family photos. Happy Resurrection Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi beautiful family... you are inspiring. .. when is the tulle skirt tutorial coming out..it's so pretty. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a gorgeous family! Your lil man cracks me up every time! He is too cool for me! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful family! Oh and by the way, I love the dress and skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous a family, you all looked beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Mimi -Happy Monday (who am I kidding I hate Mondays - LOL!
    Love the dress - this is just what I need - dress ideas for a cruise I'm planning hopefully early next year!
    Love the pixs of the family - Beautiful! Enjoy your week lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!! What a beautiful dress and family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Easter Monday, Mimi! It's really unfortunate that these pattern companies don't pay you. You sure do make them lots of money. :-) You look great - and so does the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!....Can you please do a DIY on the Tulle skirt please

    ReplyDelete
  14. You all look great I love how you all have your own individual style yet it works so well together ;) amazing family

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a beautiful dress, it goes great with your beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes!!! Tulle skirt tutorial on the way. You've made me so happy. You have a beautiful family. Wanna adopt a 36 year old?

    - Dee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice family pics! You dress is beautiful and it really looks good on you. The kids outfits are adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A! DOR! A! BLE! I love your family!! You guys rock! Very inspiring to see you guys. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A! DOR! A! BLE! I love your family!! You guys rock! Very inspiring to see you guys. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You and your family look great! You guys all look so happy.. Loved all the outfits.. Can't wait for the tulle skirt tutorial..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww beautiful family, Mimi! Love the dress - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of you look great, I totally love your dress. The movement, the style, the print. FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You all looked great, love love your dress and you have such a beautiful family!!!


    Carsedra McKoy:
    www.embracingtherealme.com
    http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow did you make your husband and sons outfit to? Very nice, you family is Beautifu!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this dress. You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thank God that your marriage is one that is made in heaven and I pray that it will always be as strong as it is right now...
    I love all those clothes and I really want that double peplum top in a stripe or a black.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely dress and gorgeous family pics. I would love to see your oldest child at one point. Also, I would love to see a series on parenting--especially how your parenting style has changed from your oldest child to youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hurry, need tulle skirt tutorial before May 16. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have a beautiful family!!!! and you are wearing that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pretty dress! Loved all of the family pics, lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. For some reason I want to see what this dress looks like if worn backwards! Gorgeous family by the way. Lexi is your twin.


    http://absolutedoll.blogspot.com <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful dress. You have a gorgeous family.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the whole family's outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautful pics, gorgeous family m Did you make your son's suit?

    ReplyDelete
  35. ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS HUNNI!!!!!!!! i LOVE ALL OF IT.....Such a great inspiration. You give me life...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic all over and God blessing is on you all in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
  37. SUCH A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY! !!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful Family Be Always Blessed

    ReplyDelete
  39. such a gorgeous family! love how everyone is so stylish. i'm in love with your dress. the colors are amazing!
    hope you all had a wonderful Easter holiday!

    xoxo
    loveisalittlenumber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I needed a good support as my new dress was thin, I ordered a bodysuit made for low-cut/backless dresses and it is great. It runs long for me; I'm 5'5 even with 3 or so inch heels, it was still long.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Everyone looks fabulous! Beautiful family! Where can I find your daughter's nude pumps?

    ReplyDelete
  42. I like your ability to see beyond the pattern photo and to find further potential in a pattern. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. OMG....I so love this post. Why is everybody giving me nothing but face!!!! I love it. Beautiful family. I love that dress. I have a black one just like this that I bought from F21 like 10 years ago. I might have to get this pattern. Hope you and the family had a wonderful Easter. Peace, Love & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful pics and family..Love your together poses!6

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mimi, I looked at the pattern and it calls for Contrast A. It looks like you used same fabric for the contrast as well. How much fabric did you purchase for this dress? Do you think 5 yds would be enough for this dress in a medium? Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Mimi you have such a beautiful family. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The experience was awesome. My cousin picked this dress for her bridesmaids and I love it. It's a snug fit but it doesn't make me feel squeezed or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I want the material your youngest daughter has. I need it fast please help. You all look so beautiful and happy. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  49. Omgosh...beautiful family. And those two little ones...girl wait to the teen years...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 20 year old and a 16 year old doll, I got those teenage years handled, lol.

      Delete
  50. Mimi!!! Please make the tulle skirt tutorial! Lol you don't know how many times I have tried and failed at making this skirt lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.