Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DIY Striped Dress + Steve Madden Heels


Hi Darlings!

This is what I wore during my panel at Hispanicize and I got so many compliments on it. This pattern is one of my favorites, which is why I have made it three times now. I usually don't make one pattern that many times, but I must confess that when I need a little kick in the mojo butt, I pull out a pattern I love and know front to back like Butterick 5950. Using a pattern I have already made assures I can get instant gratification with no fuss, fitting, or modifications needed, and that will usually get me back in the mood for sewing.

I first made and reviewed the dress in a lightweight metallic HERE, then I made it again in off white HERE and most recently in the striped double knit in today's post. I think I am done with this one for a while, but you never know.

DIY Dress Pattern HERE / Fabric HERE / Steve Madden Heels HERE / Necklace F21






26 comments:

  1. This may be a silly question but how do you preserve your pattern pieces after they are cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use interfacing on all of the parts that needs to be traced

      Delete
    2. I put laminate over mine. Ive seen some that cut patterns on like a posterboard material too. They punch hole, put a hole protecter and a ring then hang up on wall.

      Delete
  2. I am fairly new at sewing and feel like I have more messed up projects then good.. I am so horrible with following written instructions so most times give up on patterns.. Grrrr,, please tutorial on this pattern.. Help I have the passion to sew but really need help. I would love to take a class online to better my skills.. Maybe you could do one.. Lol, I might be requesting too much!! :) b blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey MimiG - love the black and white - very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, im an faithful follower but i have a windows phone and would love to have your app, is there any way that you could get the app available for Windows phone????? Please :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress on you! Love the metallic especially. Ooh la la

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mimi! LOVE the dress. I think I'm going to try to make this one. Which stripe did you use? The link showed quite a few.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the striped look. I'd like to make one in navy and white stripes. Did you use the rayon, poly blend?

    ReplyDelete
  9. one word: DANGER! work it, diva! (okay, a couple of words)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it too! It reminds me of the Anthropologie Column dress they keep releasing all the time. I'm definitely going to have to make this

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving your designs but the only thing is what would you recommend for a plus size woman that wound BEAUTIFUL on her as well as a woman with a beautiful figure such as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEAUTIFUL DRESS!!!!!! I am learning to sew as well but need help finding fabric. I live in Atlanta, any suggestions? The link provided for the fabric for this dress would not work for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, just wanted to share two of my favorite places here in the Atlanta area:

      Fine Fabrics (inexpensive and a wiiiiide selection lol)

      6624 Dawson Blvd
      Ste 11
      Norcross, GA 30093

      Gail K. Fabrics (beautiful fabric, but can be a lil pricey for some items)

      2216 Cheshire Bridge Rd NE
      Atlanta, GA 30324

      Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.