.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

DIY Striped Dress + Steve Madden Heels


Hi Darlings!

This is what I wore during my panel at Hispanicize and I got so many compliments on it. This pattern is one of my favorites, which is why I have made it three times now. I usually don't make one pattern that many times, but I must confess that when I need a little kick in the mojo butt, I pull out a pattern I love and know front to back like Butterick 5950. Using a pattern I have already made assures I can get instant gratification with no fuss, fitting, or modifications needed, and that will usually get me back in the mood for sewing.

I first made and reviewed the dress in a lightweight metallic HERE, then I made it again in off white HERE and most recently in the striped double knit in today's post. I think I am done with this one for a while, but you never know.

DIY Dress Pattern HERE / Fabric HERE / Steve Madden Heels HERE / Necklace F21






26 comments:

  1. This may be a silly question but how do you preserve your pattern pieces after they are cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use interfacing on all of the parts that needs to be traced

      Delete
    2. I put laminate over mine. Ive seen some that cut patterns on like a posterboard material too. They punch hole, put a hole protecter and a ring then hang up on wall.

      Delete
  2. I am fairly new at sewing and feel like I have more messed up projects then good.. I am so horrible with following written instructions so most times give up on patterns.. Grrrr,, please tutorial on this pattern.. Help I have the passion to sew but really need help. I would love to take a class online to better my skills.. Maybe you could do one.. Lol, I might be requesting too much!! :) b blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey MimiG - love the black and white - very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, im an faithful follower but i have a windows phone and would love to have your app, is there any way that you could get the app available for Windows phone????? Please :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress on you! Love the metallic especially. Ooh la la

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mimi! LOVE the dress. I think I'm going to try to make this one. Which stripe did you use? The link showed quite a few.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the striped look. I'd like to make one in navy and white stripes. Did you use the rayon, poly blend?

    ReplyDelete
  9. one word: DANGER! work it, diva! (okay, a couple of words)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it too! It reminds me of the Anthropologie Column dress they keep releasing all the time. I'm definitely going to have to make this

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving your designs but the only thing is what would you recommend for a plus size woman that wound BEAUTIFUL on her as well as a woman with a beautiful figure such as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEAUTIFUL DRESS!!!!!! I am learning to sew as well but need help finding fabric. I live in Atlanta, any suggestions? The link provided for the fabric for this dress would not work for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, just wanted to share two of my favorite places here in the Atlanta area:

      Fine Fabrics (inexpensive and a wiiiiide selection lol)

      6624 Dawson Blvd
      Ste 11
      Norcross, GA 30093

      Gail K. Fabrics (beautiful fabric, but can be a lil pricey for some items)

      2216 Cheshire Bridge Rd NE
      Atlanta, GA 30324

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  13. Mimi, you look stunning as usual!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.