.

Monday, January 14, 2013

OOTD: DIY Shirt & DIY Cape + Pattern Review Burda 7136

Hi Darlings! I had some meetings this weekend about the locations I was looking into for the July event this year "Sewing, Fashion + Style Workshops 2013"  and I am so excited!!!  I will post about it again this week with details. 

Today I am finally getting around to sharing the review of my shirt using Burda 7136 which I mentioned in a post on 1/1 when I covered how to use your ready wear garments as size guides to adjust your sewing pattern, that post can be found HERE




Pattern Description: Misses Shirt 

Pattern Sizing: I cut the 10 and made adjustments

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions for this shirt are clear (as most Burda instructions are) and very easy to follow. I however make my shirts differently so I followed my own construction methods. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the classic style of the pattern with the cuffs and plackets.

Fabric/Interfacing Used: Striped Shirting found HERE & you can also find amazing shirtings HERE &  HERE (use coupon MIMIJAN10 for 10% off) / Interfacing is SO IMPORTANT when making a shirt like this because the collar and cuffs are key to making this shirt a success. I use a medium fusible for my cuffs because I like a crisp collar but don't like it stiff so I use this THIS one or THIS one.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did not make any design changes but I did take the measurements from my ready wear shirt and used those numbers to adjust my pattern before cutting. I ended up taking out 2" of ease in the body and 1.5" of ease in the sleeve. I talk about how to do that in THIS post

Would you sew it again? Yes because since I made the fitting changes to the pattern and not the garment I now have a pattern that is fitted for me and can be replicated over and over without any further fitting issues.

Would you recommend it to others? Yes along with my modifications





DIY Striped Shirt (similar) HERE / F21 Jeans (old) similar HERE and HERE / DIY Red Cape (previously blogged) HERE 






28 comments:

  1. Such a cute outfit. I love the blouse. I wanted to make one similiar but trying not to buy anymore fabric. As I was organizing my stash lo and behold I had some stripe cotton fabric. I may try to whip this up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So chic! What a great look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration Mrs.Mimi!!! God has put a vision and gift with in you (as he has done for all of us) and you are taking FULL advantage of it. Keep up the good work. The best is YET to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a nice look. I have to try to make this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this shirt even more! Love it with cape as well! Thanks for sharing different styling ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is seriously darling...one kind of blouse (isn't that what shirt is for a woman? A blouse?) I want in my wardrobe is a red and white gingham one. I think that would seriously go with just about any denim in my wardrobe. I'm seriously wanting to make a cape now that I've seen this one, the one by Cidell and then the one by Erica Bunker. Crazy! Is yours lined by the way? The pattern says the cape is unlined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For lack of what I consider a better phrase, I love it! Classic with a flare.

    I can't wait to try both DIY patterns. I'm also following your DIY mannequin pattern I saw on you tube.

    Keep blazin the trail!

    Tab

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I said on IG, masterful, just masterful! The details on this shirt are outstanding. How I wish I had the time to sew. Good luck on your braces, hope you aren't in too much pain today. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say. You have inspired me to sew. I love everthing! I was looking for the coat i saw the other day. It was cape style, cream, and with patches. Where can I see it again?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This look is hot! I was with friends today and showed it to them. They all agreed. We love the glasses too. Keep up the good work. You're so inspiring. I can hardly wait to try this shirt and cape pattern myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this cape...i have been looking for one inthe stores with a little bit of a flared sleeve but I can't find one anywhere. :-(

    This is a beautiful color as well.

    Veronica
    Pretty Girl Rock Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mimi you are AWESOME and such a Fashionista! I love your style!!! You have made me want to start sewing again and this time, FOR REAL! LOL I was wondering if you could recommend a inexpensive starter sewing machine that I could buy? I am so ready to get started!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.