.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#DIY Polka Dot Mesh Dress + Pattern Review Vogue 8870



Hi Darlings!

When Joann Fabrics sent me this Polka Dot Mesh Fabric I immediately thought of Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink especially since they also sent me this fabric in pink ;-) I knew when I saw the fabric that I wanted to use it for V8870 because it would allow me to keep the fabric in its original form without having seam lines cutting into my polka dots. I even altered the top (polka dot) layer so I could avoid having to make a dart at the bust.

My review of the pattern is below along with the "Get The Look" links.


Pattern Description: Pullover dress has loose-fitting, blouson bodice variations, elasticized (seamed) waist, side pockets and narrow hem. Wrong side shows on back hemline.

Pattern Sizing: I cut the Small


Fabric Used: Polka Dot Mesh White (Fabric provided by Joann Fabric & Craft)


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? This is a very simple dress to make and the instructions were clear. I did not use them because I was using a mesh fabric and needed to underline my bodice so I just did it my way and the skirt I just cut out in both fabrics and joined them at the waist before attaching them to my bodice.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love High-Low hems and this one just looked to cute to pass up. Plus it is pretty quick to make which means I can make several to wear on the weekends and be cute!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Just the ones I mentioned above in regards to the underlining.

Would you sew it again? Yep

Would you recommend it to others? Yes, this is a great pattern with nice variations to the bodice and hem.
DIY Dress (Fabric provided by Joann Fabric) HERE Similar Dress HERE, HERE / Aldo Heeled Sandals HERE / NY&Co. Flower Belt (old) 


38 comments:

  1. This dress is nice I usually don't like polka dots but this won me over. It's simple yet chic with a vintage feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful dress. You can wear it on a date, to a wedding, just really anywhere. The flower belt is a very cute accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress really won me over I usually don't like polka dots. But the dress has a vintage feel. One day I hope to be as good as you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dopeness as usual! I have this pattern but I'm still too scared to fool with Vogue lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, This a a vogue easy pattern and really is easy ;-)

      Delete
  5. It looks so dreamy and romantic . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute and tasteful look....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Between you and Erica I'm going to make this again lol. I made the other view. Loveeeee your version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi,you look very angelic in your beautiful white dress. I have noticed you have been matching the background flowers to your outfit, white here and purple for the lace peplum dress. Have the neighbours asked you what you are doing yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful fabric. The hi-low hem really makes this dress! Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could make this and change into this for the reception of my wedding this summer! Love it Mimi! You keep
    Me inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a gorgeous dress Mimi! Wish I had that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning...and you sure can rock a high heels with anything! Recently discovered you and your fine work, loving all the classy ones the most, but all are just phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one awesome summer dress. If JoAnn's is smart they will have this fabric stocked in their stores for people like me to go find.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really pretty, Mimi. Looks lovely on you. Rachel UK

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi - girl you rocked it! The flower added a nice touch and the shoes are KILLER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely adorable! I'm nit sure what I like more: the style or the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply adorable. Your creativity is out of this world. This is such a sexy, innocent look. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great dress. You were your clothes beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVED how you lined the dress all the way around. A lot of the high low dresses I'm finding in stores have the lining all the way around the length of the shortest part of the dress. You are fantastic & inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you make the straps out of the lining fabric?

    Will make a go of this with a mesh fabric as well; I'll line bodice but keep the darts. I assume mesh fabric not sturdy enough for the straps. Hope mine comes out half as good as yours. Btw, visit your blog often--you are fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.