.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

DIY Cape & Pattern Review + NEW! Make Up Haul Video

Hi Darlings!!

I hope you have had a pleasant start to your week. I am so excited to share some recent DIY's that I have made for myself and I have a new tutorial I am finishing up for an easy, fast and fabulous LBD. If editing goes well it should be up by end of week and then next week I have yet another amazing free tutorial courtesy of Michael Levine, you guys are gonna love it!!

Also, the video below is of my recent trip to Ulta where I picked up some great make up basics that I love and am sharing with you. I loved how much encouragement I got from you guys about doing these videos and how helpful you are finding them. Make sure to subscribe to my youtube channel so you can be notified of new uploads.



 Okay now on to the OOTD and Pattern Review…


DIY Cape Pattern V8959 / Wool Blend Fabric HERE, (any of these) HERE or (these would be awesome) HERE / Denim Shirt (similar) HERE or HERE / Gap Black Pants HERE / Heels (old) similar HERE / Necklace (old) F21/ Coach Bag HERE / DIY Gloves



Pattern Description: Misses' Cape

Fabric Used: Wool Blend Fabric HERE, (any of these) HERE or (these would be awesome) HERE Make sure to use my code at checkout "MIM10

Pattern Sizing: I cut the XS

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done with it? Yes 

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, this is a pretty straight forward pattern 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love a good cape and this one was a great way to get my sewing mojo back. It was a quick and rewarding project.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I decided to use toggle closures instead of the one button, it just seemed more stylish to me. I got those toggles HERE

Would you sew it again? No only because of there are so many other patterns to get to ;-)

Would you recommend it to others? Yes! great pattern, easy to understand and quick to put together.

Conclusion: Winner winner!














25 comments:

  1. Very darling as usual. It is snowing in Philly and I would need to rock that cape with a few jackets underneath! Thanks for inspiring.... I'm still going to make one for myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah, It has been pretty cold here (NOTHING like Philly) but cold for Cali lol

      Delete
  2. Very nice. I'm shocked it was even cold enough to wear the cape in Cali. When I left there 7 years ago, I didn't even own a coat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sparkle like Edward from 'Twilight" too funny :D Great video. This is going to be a fun make-up journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to totally make this!! A great first project and I understand that cold, I think it was 19 degrees today in Michigan..however my mom lives in Cali and she jokes all the time about how "cold" it is..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cape. The toggles make it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a cape like that in the fall, but it was with faux fur and a New Look pattern....and it's not nearly as FABULOUS as this!!! The white is EVERYTHING!!! I LOVE IT!

    I just started a DIY/sewing blog in Sept, and I have to say, you're truly an inspiration! Hope to get to your level someday... Keep it up!

    ~Chinelo~
    www.mystyleoasis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were these pictures taken with your new camera?
    I only ask because I can see a little difference in the picture quality. Fab pictures and fab outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are learning the new one and its been awesome.

      Delete
  8. That cape is hot!! I would love to make Kerry Washington's white coat from Scandal in burgundy and Black. Any pattern ideals Mimi?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely cape! Right now in Michigan (as Lola points out) it was 19 today, and even a vintage double-sided loden wool cape that was my mother's in the '60s, it is too darn cold for a cape. We'll need a 37-degree 'thaw' before I get the capes out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 19 is cold..I remember my Chicago days, I walked to school bundled up like the Michelin man lol!

      Delete
  10. Love it! Looks so stylish. I'm so use to seeing capes in dark colours and red, but I think the white fabric really makes this cape stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm 39. I started learning about make-up last year. I prefer very natural make-up. I found Maskara.com - she's amazing and teaches about all kinds of make-up looks with youtube tutorials. My other major find was Paula Begoun's book "Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me" and her website Paulaschoice.com. She gives you guidance on what products are worth buying and which to skip in a ridiculously easy-to-use format. Your videos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came to your blog right on time because I'm on a hunt for a great cape for my sister. The one your made looks great! I was hoping it'll in your shop. *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
  13. All i wanna know is does it take you 59sshots to choose 5 photos, because i have such a hard time with posing lol. You always look fab, fashion wise and your pics are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What type of lining did you use for the cape?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love this cape but I can't do it my self do u make them to? My is mack mommy I follow you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.