.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

DIY Tunic + Leggings With Modification Info



Hi Darlings!

I am so excited that you guys enjoyed the haul video yesterday so I will make sure to stay on top of those as I shop! and that I am not the only 37 year old woman who is new to the makeup world.

Now today I am wearing a DIY (do it yourself) outfit that I made a few days ago using my HP "Love 2 Love You" T-shirt Pattern. This pattern is going to get a lot of play not just because it is my pattern lol but because it really is a great sloper for so many design options.

I made the tunic and leggings with a double knit and this amazing floral print fabric that has yarn sewn throughout, it is so beautiful in person. I added 6" to the front and 3" to the back along with a 2" wide band to the bottom. The leggings are from a pattern I created from an old pair I had (tutorial coming soon) I make my leggings in Double Knits because it is a thicker fabric so when it stretches it doesn't become sheer as many leggings do and if you live in a cooler climate the double knit leggings are so much warmer!
Mimi G DIY Tee Pattern HERE / Double Knit HERE and HERE / Floral Print HERE / Wild Pair Heels (old) / Necklace & Earrings @ Charming Charlie / MK Watch


 



Making the adjustment to the pattern…All you need to do is measure down how long you want the top and from the center of the t-shirt front hem line measure the extra length and make a straight line across (shown in red below) that becomes your new hem, you will also need to add any additional length to the back but remember the back pattern piece is longer then the front already so you won't be adding the same amount.  You are also adding the 2" wide band so you will need to add that to the total length.

Then cut 2 pieces of fabric 4" by the width of the front and also one for the back. Lay them right sides together and sew the sides then fold that band in half and sew it on the hem of the shirt AFTER you have sewn your top together, the band is the very last thing I did. Trudy also has that great recon video on youtube for additional help or ideas.







28 comments:

  1. Very nice Mimi, I love the top. I will have to give it a try. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute outfit - love the CC jewelry - can't wait to watch your shopping haul video!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love Love! I wish I could sew more, but with school I just don't have the time. LOVE YOU MIMI!
    You are the TRUTH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!!! Pls. post a Legging Tutorial. I am so frustrated with those sheer leggings. They are not leggings, they are tights. Can't wait to make my own leggings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi, I love the tunic and leggings! You are wearing leggings the way they should be worn. I enjoyed your shopping haul yesterday too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful top! Lovely outfit! What are your thoughts of the recovery of the double knit? I always thought leggings need to be made of fabric with some lycra in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Levone, Double Knits come in many different forms so I always try to use the DK with stretch, there are a ton and great colors too.

      Delete
  7. This is lovely!! The fabric is perfect. Also, thanks for the great tip about sewing leggings using double knit. I hate when my leggings look see thru!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Ma'am, you are giving me life with this outfit. I agree with the poster who said you are wearing leggins the way they should be worn. Werk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word. Love Love Love this! I appreciate it when you let us know how and where you made an adjustment on patterns. <3

    http://aredesignedlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your designs are gorgeous. I can't stop marveling at how gifted you are. I do a little sewing myself and you have inspired me to get even more serious about it. I use patterns most of the time but I've now decided to invest in a dress form and really get into it. You're a great mentor Mimi! Continue doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate the love and support!

      Delete
  11. Looking Beautiful as always!!! I love this outfit!! This is the perfect Saturday outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tunic and leggings. I will have make a pair using double knit. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure it is a stretch double knit ;-)

      Delete
  13. I've made your Tee twice already. You are right, it's a great sloper and can work up fancy or casual and it is very easy to modify.
    A very nice basic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.