.

Friday, August 3, 2012

DIY Peplum Top + Pencil Skirt + Pattern Review Vogue 8815

Hello Darlings!



Did you know that the peplum has been around since the early 1800's?  I am not sure it was called that then but it was in fact what we now consider to be a peplum. In the 1800's they were not attached at the waist of a garment but instead were overskirts or flounces that sat on top of the dress or skirt.

The peplum was introduced in the fashion world by Christian Dior who in 1947 unveiled his now infamous peplum as his "New Look" for women. That iconic image has been seen everywhere and since then the peplum has shown itself over and over again in many different styles. In the 1980's it showed up again in a less appealing form in my opinion but it was the 80's right, lol. Now the peplum has evolved into the most amazing shapes and styles while still performing what I think was its original purpose and that was to create an almost instant hour glass figure.

Christian Dior 1947

All that info to say that last night while thinking of what to wear today I realized I had not jumped onto the peplum bandwagon and had yet to wear the one I made a few days ago using Vogue Pattern 8815 so I pulled out my DIY pencil skirt (which I have a free tutorial for) and off to bed I went.


Get The Look...

DIY Denim Print Peplum (love these) HERE and HERE / DIY Pencil Skirt (similar) HERE or this ONE which is seriously bad ass! / Charlotte Russe Coral Wedges (old) similar HERE / Forever 21 Bag (old)



Pattern Review

Pattern Description: Misses Tops Vogue 8815

Pattern Sizing: I cut a size 4 for the top and a size 10 for the bottom

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? This is a pretty easy pattern to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that they offer a peplum pattern and this one is pretty basic that you could alter and make design changes if you wanted. I hate that it is not lined so when I make it again I will line it.

Fabric Used: Denim Cheetah Print

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made?: None 

Would you sew it again? Yes but will fully line it like I mentioned above.

Would you recommend it to others? I do recommend it. Its pretty straight forward and few pieces to cut and sew.




xoxo
mimi g.



49 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and I'm delighted with your outfits ..... Great!! some are totally inspirational. Congratulations, you have a great style.
    Following you on Bloglovin.
    * STYLE ID NET *
    * Filomenas Closet *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      Follow me on Facebook
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  2. This outfit looks wonderful on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Follow me on Facebook
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  3. as always gorg! and loving the fashion history lessons! What material is your skirt made from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a double knit ;-)


      Follow me on Facebook
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  4. Freaking - Amazing...

    Question...what will the lining add to this look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the inside to be a clean as the outside so I would line it give it a finished look and also the lining always helps your clothing last longer ;-)


      Follow me on Facebook
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  5. Your peplum top is impeccably executed! Love your fabric choice too. Nicely styled as always. I love visiting your blog! You never disappoint. ;)

    You Like It? I Made It!
    http://youlikeitimadeit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks babe!


      Follow me on Facebook
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  6. This top is on my list, I recently bought Jean fabric to make your pencil skirt tut.. Every time I see your posts my list of " next" in line to make changes.... lol. I hope I can eventually sew faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome, make sure you use a really stretchy fabric for the skirt ;-)


      Follow me on Facebook
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  7. U look amazing...I love the look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  8. your looks are timeless!
    alwayssaygrace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  9. This is not the peplum I remember from the 80s. I like the look of this top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the peplum in the 80's was not cute, LOL

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  12. Love that top! I saw that fabric in the store and don't you be surprised if I make me one too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous. This is on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shorts would have been cool but this top is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I like it as a top but there is more at the store so I could make some shirts still, lol


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  15. I have always loved this cut had no idea what it was called thanks for being so informative I follow you on chictopia I haven't seen you blog an outfit i wouldn't wear yet :)
    Love LOve LOvE your style l!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my pleasure and thank you!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  16. Hi Mimi!

    I love your blog and your seamstress skills are top notch! I'm curious: do your girls sew at all? My 16 year old daughter is going to be taking sewing this year and I've been showing her your blog for inspiration. She's excited to learn how! I was never any good at it so I never progressed...seeing you makes me wish I had stuck with it!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica! No my kids have zero interest, lol so it excites me when I hear that a young girl does ;-)

      Delete
  17. You have done it again MiMi!! Love the top and it goes great with the skirt!!


    Carsedra of:

    http://www.embracingtherealme.com/

    http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  18. Loves it! I would have never thought of that with the cheetah print denim.

    *BWEnaj*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) Thanks!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  19. okay don't get mad! What kind of knot did you use for the skirt? I am trying to place a order on fabric.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I used a stretchy double knit in navy.

      Delete
  20. As always amazing! I will try to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!


      Follow me on my NEW Facebook page:
      www.facebook.com/mimigstyleblog

      Delete
  21. Beautiful top! Love it with your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love peplum tops and jackets. Yours is great. I look forward to trying this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mimi! I have recently discovered your blog and I must say I ADORE you!! I sew as well and you are such an inspiration! You are such sophisticated and chic lady...LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mimi! I recently discovered your blog and I absolutely ADORE you! I sew as well and you are truly an inspiration. You are such a sophisticated and chic woman..I love it!!!

    Great job on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What color bias tape did you use with this?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you use a serger for finishing your pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Mimi, I love your designs. Do you use a serger to finish your pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mimi, I love your site. I check out your projects DAILY! I'm a beginner seamstress and would love for you to check out what I did with V8815. Actually, this is the only pattern I've worked with so far as it is super easy and versatile. This is my blog: http://fashion-enginerd.blogspot.com/

    The first two posts are all about this peplum top. BTW, your skill and caress with the details of all your projects are so inspiring. Your pieces are well tailored and so well made! I hope to do as well as you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.