.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

DIY Floral Riding Jacket + Pattern Review V8601 OOP



Hi Darlings!

I am so excited that you guys found yesterdays post informative and some are even starting with me on Sunday which means I need to be accountable now, lol yikes. Over the weekend I posted on my instagram a pic of the blazer I had finished and it was a hit so I couldn't wait to wear it.

The pattern is a V8691 which is OOP but is still in some the Joann stores, Walmart and online you just need to check the pattern drawers. I chose this fabric for my jacket because not only is it gorgeous! (these pics don't do it justice) but I needed to add a monochromatic blazer for summer as it's one of my favorite trends  (always has been) and the fabric is lightweight enough to work year round.


Pattern Description: V8601

Fabric Used: The most AMAZING Textured Knit ever! I got it HERE remember to use our May code: MIMIMAY10 this one is going to fast I know it.

Pattern Sizing: I cut the 6

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't use them because I have made a billion jackets but I did read them for the sake of review and they were very clear, even the collar section was easy to understand.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love riding jackets and I love anything that cinches my waist, lol I have been meaning to make this jacket for years and just kept putting it aside until I got that amazing fabric from Michael Levine and I knew exactly what pattern I was going to use.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made? Yes only in the fitting department because I always find the added ease in the sleeves unflattering and take away from the shape of the jacket so I pinched out 5/8" on the pattern along the grainline before cutting out my pattern piece out of fabric so I could end up with a slim fit in the sleeves.
Would you sew it again? Yes actually. I am going to make it one more time in a solid color ;-)

Would you recommend it to others? If you can find it at your local fabric store buy it and make it!



59 comments:

  1. That's a pretty awesome jacket, you're the sewing master! I love all your creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute and fits you perfectly....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this pattern and would have never thought i could make it with a fun print like this! I love you fly girl Sewers on the web. I have more confidence to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty. I'm still working up the nerve to sew clothes. Right now I'm comfy just sewing purses.

    guyaneseissta.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love Mimi. How many yards did you buy to make this blazer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am IN LOVE. Seriously! That jacket is EVERYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this jacket. And you look so fly in it. Just sickening (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! What a great jacket and I absolutely adore your fabric. I'll have to try and get this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOOHOO!!! I just ordered the fabric. You're such an enabler Mimi! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great in this printed jacket; I adore the monochromatic look. It looks so stylin' and could be teamed with anything to dress it up or down.

    Great job!
    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I agree, it can be dress and casual, love it.

      Delete
  11. I saw a hint of this jacket on your side bar and couldn't wait for you to post. Stunning. I bought this same pattern after Erica B posted her riding jacket a few years back but never got around to making it. Now I need to check my fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This jacket is SO FLY and it fits you perfectly. I love the material!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful garment! Sometimes you just have to take a chance because the pic on the vendor's website doesn't nearly do the fabric justice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have no clue how to sow but love this jacket. Could i pay you to make this for me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an UH-MA-ZING jacket Mimi. Maybe with the solid color, you can do something cool and funky with the lining! You are so talented. I just purchased my sewing machine. I hope I can be up to your skill level some day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking fab as usual! Love the high low hemline in this curved way on a jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im in love with this jacket,is there any way to order it or find it somewhere so i can buy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seeing as I made it myself I highly doubt it.

      Delete
  18. Ive wanted this pattern for a while now and have had trouble getting it. Love the way yours turned out

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very very nice. I found the pattern and may try my hand at it. Also Burda has a jacket that could be adapted to this a little. I believe it's 7138.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look so cute! I just found your blog! Loving your hair too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mimi, I love your jacket and was inspired to try and find it today and lo and behold, I found it!!! I will post a pic when I make it.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, amazing, beautiful. Girl u rock. Just to let u know, I have bought so many patterns since I started following ur blog. I have made a dress for my little one and it came out beautifully. Thanks for the inspiration and making me want to sew and believe I can. U r awesome. Thanks again girl!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nuthin' like great details like the collar.Pure perfection.#knockOut ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mimi as usual I love your styling. What type of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! I can't believe you made that with a textured knit fabric!! I often see this print with linen and brocade fabrics. I never would have thought if making this jacket with a knit fabric. You really know your stuff Mimi. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the jacket, the fabric, the whole look!!! As usual Mimi you rocked it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Everytime I look at one of your pieces, it makes me want to learn to sew even more. But first I need to get a sewing machine. I love this! You're so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome jacket. I need to find that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am seriously in love with that riding jacket. Your fabric choice is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have inspired me to pick up sewing again! I haven't sewed clothes in over 15 years but I made two pencil skirts following your tutorials and then you made me buy a new sewing machine!! :-D I'm already working on two dresses you have on your blog! Thank you for passing on the sewing bug!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love that Rose fabric..Beautifully styled Mimi..Its fab!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Mimi,

    Love that jacket, I will have to try that one day! The shoes dope who made them?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Since this pattern is out of print, have you seen a similar one that is available? I would love to try my hand at making this jacket...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mimi, I can't put it off a minute longer! I'm starting my sewing class next month! Your creations have inspired me to start making my own clothes! Love your style and work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Please make a tutorial on this jacket. Even if you will charge for it. I absolutely love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Mimi,

    What is ease and how complicated is pinching out measurements, I noticed that you also did this on the peplum top? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is soooo pretty.. However, Vogue no longer sells this pattern, and I REALLY want it. So, could you make a tutorial or do you still have the pattern and want to sell? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  38. The correct pattern is the Katherine Tilton? I want to make sure. I love this jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi MIMI, ARE ANY OF YOUR CREATIONS FOR SALE?

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the jacket.....I want one. How much????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.